Planning for a big birthday party in Sydney can be a daunting task. This is especially true if you have never hosted a party as big as what you plan now. Of course, the main concern is that you don’t want to run out of food on that day, but you also don’t want to be end up keeping a lot of party leftovers. You might find yourself caught in a very confusing situation when you start to calculate the food portions you want to serve on your party.
Good thing though that you can avoid these situations if you sit down and take time to follow these simple steps in estimating the food quantity for the party. With this, you don’t have to worry about sending you guests home with half full, half empty stomach nor your fridge suffer the leftover bulge.
1. The general rule is always to round UP the estimates.
2. Always prioritize food menus that are more popular to your guests. Go for big servings on this food selection.
3. The more food choices on the table, the smaller the portion you need on each individual menu.
4. Always assume that guests would want to taste everything that is served but in small portion. Conversely, fewer choices mean greater consumption.
5. For a sit-down party, serve more bread to cover up some hungry spots. For cocktail parties in Sydney, trick the stomach with plenty of pretzels, nuts, olives and anything that guests can nibble.
Suggested Serving per Guest
• If before a meal, 6 bites would suffice
• If IT is the meal, prepare 4 to 6 bites per hour
• This means the longer the party is and the more guests you expect, the greater the quantity of food menu you must offer.
• 6 ounces for meat, fish and poultry
• 1.5 ounces for grains as side dish
• 5 ounces of potatoes
• 4 ounces of vegetable
• 2 ounces of beans if served as side dish
• 4 ounces of pasta if served as main dish, 3 ounces as first course, 2 ounces for side dish
• 1 ounce for fresh green salad
• 5 ounces for ice cream
• 4 ounces for mousse or pudding and other creamy desserts
• 1 slice of cake, pastry or tart
• When serving 2 kinds of desserts, cut each food serving by half
Whether you want a sit-down catering, buffet or some fingerfood to munch on, you can always count on My Caterer. We serve Bankstown, Central Business District, Bondi Beach, Chatswood, Liverpool, Manly, Newton and anywhere in Sydney.
Party planning shouldn’t be stressful, it must be fun!